Friday, February 8, 2013

First email from the MTC

Hello everybody!

Wow, the MTC... What a trip! I can safely say that these past two days have been the longest days of my life. It feels like I've been here for weeks, but last night one of my sweet Montreal sisters reminded me that we'd only been here for like 30 hours. Time flies when you're having fun is a phrase that does NOT apply at the MTC. That's not to say that it hasn't been a hoot since I got here, but I am definitely starting to get a better sense of what eternity feels like.

Okay, so allow me to tell the story of my life here at the empty sea (which it's not, apparently... very disappointed about that). After I was dragged away like a helpless kitten from my family, I was herded through a million different rooms like prize-winning cattle. (I say prize-winning because, well, I was looking pretty fine in my sister missionary attire.) I think some of the elders can attest to that... lock your hearts, dang it! ;) After all of the chaos my host sister left me in my classroom without giving me a single clue as to what came next. So there I find myself with two Germans, one elder and one sister. I was completely baffled because their French did not sound French at all. Surprise! They were speaking German. At this point I was stressed out of my mind because I thought for sure they had taken me to the wrong class. Luckily three more Montreal sisters arrived about half an hour later, so it all worked out.

During that half hour, however, even MORE Germans showed up, as well as a Portuguese elder and a Haitian elder. They are all leaving in two weeks, and half of them were already serving in Europe for the past few months before they got here. I was so confused, because my whole district was leaving me and I just got here. Oh, but was I in for a surprise. No one told me that I'm in an accelerated district, which means I will be leaving for Montreal in TEN DAYS from today! I am soooo not ready to go. Ha ha PRAY FOR ME!

I am with three other Montreal sisters who will be leaving with me in the next ten days, so that's comforting at least. We all get along so well already. Seriously, I've never met sweeter girls in my entire life. They were definitely hand picked just for me, and it has been such a blessing to be with them. My companion is Sister Landeen from American Fork, and she is incredibly warm and outgoing. I've learned a lot from her in the past few days and hope that my scriptures will be as well marked as hers at some point in my life... Ha ha I'm kind of the slacker sister in this group... oh well, c'est la vie!

Last night we met our branch and had interviews with the Branch President. I'm in the accelerated language branch, which means I have a lot of foreigners going to English speaking missions. One of the German Elders in my district is going to California, so just imagine my delight every time he says where he's serving his mission... ha ha, it's seriously like Arnold Schwarzenager. LOVE IT. We also have a HUGE district of Alpine and Germany missionaries, so it's been a German themed MTC experience so far.

After the LONGEST branch meeting of my life, I was so happy to get to take a shower. I was literally in there for two minutes when one of my roomates came in and told me I needed to get out and get dressed because the branch presidency was there to see me. The whole time I kept thinking, "WHO DIED?!" Seriously, the most terrifying moment of my life. I'm standing there soaking wet with no clue as to what is going on and wondering if I was about to get sent home. It turns out that they are calling me to be the coordinating sister! Whoo hoo! Ha ha seriously, PRAY FOR ME. It's basically like being a zone leader, except for sisters. I have over 30 sisters in my branch, so keep me in your prayers and send me good vibes. I'll only be here for another week and a half, but I can't wait to serve at the MTC in this capacity. My job is to love and care for all of these sisters, as well as help the huge group coming in next week get used to the MTC! ...even though I still have no idea what I'm doing here...

Anyway, it truly has been an incredible experience so far. I feel loved and blessed and anxious and terrified all at the same time, but I feel your love and prayers. I love you all so very much and cannot wait to see you all again in 18 days... JK! 18 months! I love it. I only have one P-day left here, so if you were planning on writing me at the MTC you have about another week to do so. Away to Montreal! I'm going to freeze. Anyone who wants to send me wool socks would be loved forever. I love you and miss you all SOOOOO much! Danke! Ich liebe dich! Just kidding, I can't speak German.


Love,


Sister Cutler

No comments:

Post a Comment